January 08, 2009

Baby, it's cold outside



We had a wonderful snowfall yesterday and I was determined to do some winter photography outside today. But....

* dang, it's cold
* I lost my warmest gloves recently
* it would have taken me well over an hour to dig the car out to go anywhere
* there's no hot tea out there

Once I had a sufficient number of excuses to justify staying in, I managed to do some winter-themed photography indoors instead.

Here in Montreal, the winters are nasty frigid and I need to finally figure out how to continue outdoor photography during the winter when it's colder than -7C (19F), which is most days. How long I can manage to stay outside usually depends on how frozen my fingers are. I've got a nice long down-filled coat and and very good quality boots and warm socks so I can generally keep my body and feet warm enough, but it's the fingers. I have yet to find a solution. I'm thinking of experimenting with an initial thin glove liner, some warm ski mits, and those chemical hand warmers inside the mits. I figure that while I'm not shooting, I can keep the mits on with the warmers inside and then whip them off and keep the thin glove liner on while taking photographs. If any of you photographers out there have any advice, my ears are open.

7 comments:

Claire said...

beautiful images!!
just stay in the warm - that what i'm doing :o) come join me for cocoa!!

Anonymous said...

I'm with ya! The best solution I have found is thin gloves underneath thicker fingerless gloves, or using the camera on a tripod with a cable release, which is somewhat easy with bulky winter gear on. It's so hard to get out there in winter tho, I totally agree. I'm suffering the same problem here in Maine!

Irene said...

Mmmm. Cocoa. Sounds like a good idea. Claire.

Allison: That's a good suggestion. I've never thought of that. I'll have to give it a try.

18november said...

you take really gorgeous photos :]

gh said...

I used to get out there in the cold until the screen on my camera no longer showed the display. It was more my camera I was worried about than myself. Yep the fingers are the toughest to keep warm. This was especially true when riding motorcyles in the winter.

There are some battery powered electric gloves that are not too thick that I saw somewhere online. I've been meaning to look them up again and give them a try. I'll let you know if I get the link to them. That would seem to me to be the best.

Maia said...

Gorgeous imagery. The first one just sings.

Anonymous said...

Irene...First love your work. Now about the cold. I know, I know...it's the fingers. I'm in NYC and although it's not as cold as Montreal I have shot in 15 degrees. I found down filled gloves from LL Bean that are wonderful. I sometimes use those hand warmers too. And, being an equal opportunity comforter, I rubber band two hand warmers around the battery compartment of my camera. And let's all keep shooting!